Since our move to our new nutrition center in 2007, Community Servings has launched exciting program initiatives to support our primary mission of feeding the critically ill and their caregivers and children.
- Welcoming food-service job trainees. As men and women who face life challenges and barriers to employment learn basic food service skills, they also help our kitchen staff prepare the meals we deliver to our clients each day.
- Holding on-site nutrition education programs. Clients transitioning off our meals service attend nutrition and cooking class to learn how to prepare healthy meals on a budget.
- Offered assistance to people struggling with HIV/AIDS in South Africa. In partnership with ANSA and three of our sister agencies across the United States, we offered technical assistance to our "neighbors" in South Africa, where 5.5 million people live with HIV/AIDS.
- Launching a social enterprise initiative. Leveraging the increased capacity of our new facility, we are selling our brand of culturally appropriate and nutritious meals to schools and other nonprofits that serve vulnerable populations, such as children and the elderly.
- Providing local produce to the community. In partnership with a local farmer, our neighbors purchase shares of the season's harvest. Community Servings receives the farmer's surplus produce for our clients' meals. We also launched an herb garden, CSA and CSF.
As Community Servings continues to evolve, we are always seeking new ways to improve the nutrition, health and well-being of our clients and the community.